Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reward Yourself With Some Reality.

I used to be embarrassed about relishing your typical reality dating show but since working in the belly of the beast itself I seem to enjoy it on another more complex and intellectual level.
Who the #$% am I kidding I've always loved reality dating shows, long long before I started working for one.

They just make you feel so much better about yourself. They even give you a set of standards that you didn't even know you had. Because as much you may have wished you slept with Charlie Sheen in the 80s, you know it's just not worth the potential risk of becoming an illiterate crack addict who talks to parrots.
However with Heidi Fleiss gone, Celebrity Rehab isn't the same. So I've turned my attention to more deserving shows such as The Bachelor Season 15. I found last season's bachelor so deliciously over the top I couldn't wait to see how they were going to up the ante this time.

Oh ye have little faith. Not only is the flock of whores whorier, but also some brilliant producer came up with the idea to bring back a former bachelor from a previous season. But he's not just any bachelor from any season; he's Brad Womack. The guy who broke two woman's hearts on the show’s 11th season and left The Bachelor, the same way he came in, namely, a bachelor.
We reality TV junkies live and breathe for these insta-story lines. Will he do the same thing again? Will he pick someone for the sake of not doing the same thing twice?
Will fans (present company included) be able to continue to convince themselves the show is not merely a vehicle for struggling models and actors to catch a break and in fact a viable way for two people with above average looks and below average intelligence to fall in love?

Given the choice, I pick the latter. Because let's face it, if I don't, then I'm readily admitting that I’m choosing to watch a regular TV show with horrific acting and a painstakingly redundant, boring and poorly written script.
Reality TV exists because we watch it, making us no better then the people who choose to be on those shows. Except of course if you've managed not to become a drug addled former hooker who talks to parrots. You're definitely better than that person or anyone who resembling that person.

So I say feel good about not being a crack addict. Or If you are a crack addict, feel good you don’t talk to parrots, and reward yourself by watching The 15th season of The Bachelor because it's hot damn that show is entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment