Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I Work In Reality TV. I Judge Myself So You Don't Have To.

Like many stuck-up, over-educated television watchers, I was appalled when reality television started gaining steam. I considered it a travesty, a catastrophe in the extreme. It was cheap and tawdry. And worse, it spelled the end of real story telling. But while reality TV was gaining big audiences, no one would admit to ever actually watching it. It was too embarrassing - even as the guiltiest of guilty pleasures.

At that time, I was at university, studying poli sci and communication theory with dreams of making my mark in the world of broadcast journalism.
However, I’m not writing this as a broadcast journalist, I write today as a member of the Reality TV production world. 

They say we all become what we hate. Actually no one ever said that. It’s something I just made up to make myself feel better.

That said, working for the devil does have its benefits. Not dental or anything practical like that. By benefits, I mean having a free pass to act like a complete turkey-ass without anyone being able to call you out on it. And if they do, all you have to say is “I’m working for a reality television show, I’m allowed to be hateful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment